La Roche-Guyon, one of "the most beautiful village in France"

Over 1000 years of history contemplate the Seine valley from the keep of the Château of La Roche-Guyon.

Located at an hour’s drive away from Paris, between Vétheuil and Giverny, the Château of La Roche-Guyonis silhouetted against the banks of the Seine on the top of a hill. Leaned against the chalk cliff since the Middle Ages, this old fortress has been transformed over the centuries, matching architectural styles with elegance. From the medieval keep to the XVIII century stables, from the first cave-dwellers’ settlements to the experimental vegetable garden of the Enlightenment, from the reception drawing-rooms to Rommel’s furnished blockhouse, the château offers its visitors a strange and bewitching trip back in time.

The village of La Roche Guyon

On the river banks, a little down the road, the city reveals many treasures. Whilst walking in the ancient streets, you will discover beautiful houses with wood panelled façades and more.

All along the carting paths, there are numerous caves dug into the cliff which were the former mining caves alternatively used as stables and saltpetre cellars and exploited up to the end of the XIX century.

These caves were used and are still being used as cave-dwellers’ settlements.

In the village centre, the old stately market, once poised on 30 stone pillars, shelters today the town hall and market. The fountain, decorated by the sculptor Jamay and designed by Villars, was inaugurated in 1742 by Alexander de la Rochefoucauld to supply the château with water.

La Roche-Guyon XV century church was built, in its largest part, under the occupation of the English, during the Hundred Years War. It was devoted to Saint Samson. There is notably a marble statue of François de Silly, the owner of the château in the XVII century.

Château of La Roche Guyon

The fruit garden of the Château

The Domaine de Villarceaux

In the nearby surroundings, the domaine de Villarceaux consists of an exceptional estate with a 70 hectare park and two châteaux (a XVI century manor, and a XVIII century château). The park was rewarded with the label of Remarkable Garden by The Ministry of Culture in 1994. It illustrates the different historical periods which have developed the domaine. The medieval garden is an accurate copy of the monastic garden.

The Château of Ambleville

Ambleville is an old medieval castle, partly in ruins, which was destroyed and rebuilt in a Rennaissance architectural style, hence an architecture rather disjointed but still endowing the Château with charm.
It is mostly visited for its gardens forming an Italian styled waterfall displaying a real show of water and plants. Also worth noticing is a topiary-pruned vegetal chessboard deploying its pawns in the Sun Garden. In the spring,50,000 bulbs of narcissus flower in full glory.

Château of Ambleville

Gardens of the Château of Ambleville

Château of la Roche Guyon
Château of la Roche Guyon
Domaine de Villarceaux
Domaine de Villarceaux
Garden of Ambleville
Garden of Ambleville